Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Searching For Virus Info

From: "Mike" <mjcarter () ihug co nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:41:10 +1300

Hi Tom,
I have tried that but it doesn't work when searching in NAI by these
characteristics or variations..

Hello my dear Mary,

I have been thinking about you all night. I would like to apologize for
the other night when we made beautiful love and did not use condoms. I
know this was a mistake and I beg you to forgive me.

I miss you more than anything, please call me Mary, I need you. Do you
remember when we were having wild sex in my house? I remember it all
like it was only yesterday. You said that the pictures would not come
out good, but you were very wrong, they are great. I didn't want to show
you the pictures at first, but now I think it's time for you to see
them. Please look in the attachment and you will see what I mean.

I love you with all my heart, James.

And this is now a known trojan.
But I did notice that searching Symantec with "Hello my dear Mary" now
returns a good result: Backdoor.Sysbug which is AKA BackDoor-CAG,
Troj/Sysbug-A  . Using that search at NAI returns nothing and using it at
Trend returns 500 results?? I don't have time to go through all that.

My whish is to be able to search by characteristics using criteria like msg
body, subject, ports used, reg changes, dropped files, whatever else you can
think of... etc etc etc without having to wade through pages of crap.

I guess what I'm asking for is a database of virus characteristics that
would probably need to be independent of av vendors because, after all, they
are in the business to make money.

I'm probably asking too much.

Regards

Mike