Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux PPTP VPN server - can't map Windows shares/printers

From: "Mitchell Rowton" <mrowton () bdo com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:24:05 -0500

If you don't see any drops at your firewall then think about MTU size.
Windows shares use large maximum segment sizes and are on of the first
symptoms when you introduce a new VPN.

NetNITCO Systems Administration <joshadmin () netnitco net> 11/21/03
11:10AM >>>
I currently have a Linux PPTP VPN server + NAT firewall which has been
functioning great.  However, I'm unable to map Windows shares from
Windows boxes behind the VPN/firewall server.  I've tried a few
combinations of iptables FORWARD rules for ports 137 and 139, but I
haven't had any luck.  Does anybody have any ideas?  I'd like to be
able
to map Windows shares and printers through the VPN.

NOTICE:
The contents of this email and any attachments to it may contain privileged and confidential information from BDO
Seidman, LLP.  This information is only for the viewing or use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of any action in
reliance upon, the information contained in this e-mail, or any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly
prohibited and that this e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be immediately returned to BDO
Seidman, LLP or destroyed and, in either case, this e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately
deleted from your computer without making any copies thereof.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
BDO Seidman, LLP by e-mail immediately.