Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MAC Authentication device

From: Kevin Saenz <ksaenz () spinaweb com au>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:43:14 +1100

You can still use MAC filtering by having your "trusted network" on one side
of the firewall and everything else on the other.  Think of a
firewall/router as a device that connects two networks, not just a public
network (the internet) to a private network.  Most large scale private
networks use routers to breakup broadcast domains.

Is this really advised when you can spoof MAC addresses?
if you have a client/user that is resourceful enough to elevate their
access by finding out your internet activity is based on MAC addresses
what would be your course of action?
Policies that I enforce my clients to take (I'm not sure if it works in
other countries) to advise their clients that internet activity will be
monitored and restricted. Usually users/clients fly right when they know
big brother is watching.

As far as an authentication device that only allows a network login based on
a list of allowable MAC addresses, I don't know of one.  But it is an
interesting idea.  In Linux terms, you could probably build a dedicated
authentication server that runs netfilter/iptables rules to kill packets
that aren't on the "approved" MAC list before they even get out of the
TCP/IP stack.  I'm not sure if you can do the same thing on a single Windows
box, but I'm sure you can do it by placing a filtering router between the
authentication server and the rest of the network as suggested above.

David Nichols