Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Suggested "safe" password length

From: Kenneth Buchanan <K.Buchanan () Kastenchase com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:15:21 -0500

:)  I was waiting for someone to mention this.

Bruce Schneier advocates this approach:
"My wallet is already a secure container; it has valuable things in it, and
I have a lifetime of experience keeping it safe. Adding a piece of paper
with my passwords seems like a natural thing to do."
http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/030902/244/e7d3m.html

It actually makes a lot of sense.  A cryptic 'hard to remember' password
tends to be far more difficult to brute force, so why not just go with it,
have people write it down, and instruct them to keep the paper safe?  It
becomes a little like an authentication token.

As someone else pointed out, once they've entered it a certain number of
times they will remember it anyway, at which point they won't have to pull
out their wallets every time they need to log in.