Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux for newbies

From: Cole Tuininga <colet () code-energy com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:18:46 -0500

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 17:22, Matt Atkins wrote:
In my first of many posts, I would like to ask the group what flavor of
Linux is recommended for a newbie.  I have no experience with Linux, and
want to teach myself the ins and outs.  I will probably be purchasing a book
or 2 to help get things off the ground, so a good book recommendation would
also be appreciated.

My personal opinion is that I would recommend Red Hat.  My reasoning is
this: RedHat is seemingly the most common distribution (at least within
the US - I believe Suse may be more popular elsewhere).

In any case, my recommendation is not based on RedHat being "better" nor
"more suited for any given purpose".  My reasoning is simply on the
basis that as the most popular distribution, the available
documentation/software/support/whatever is likely to be more plentiful.

--
If we quit voting will they all go away?

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet () code-energy com
PGP Key ID: 0x43E5755D

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027