Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations on Hacking Tools/Exploits for my security class...

From: "Anders Reed-Mohn" <anders_rm () utepils com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:26:44 +0100

In order to do this I will need some exploits to get into their machine.
This is where you guys come in.
I'm curious if I could get some tips on what tools/exploits I should use as
well as where to find these.
I'm mainly looking for exploits for Windows 2k/XP/2k3, Linux, and Cisco
routers.

Well,  since it sounds to me like you are missing some of the point behind
that class, I suggest
you do some general research on various websites, Google etc., and then come
back here and ask
more specific questions, instead of asking us to do all of your homework for
you.

Then we'll be happy to help you solve your mysteries.

I'll give you a strong hint, though. You want to know how to break in to the
other guys' networks.
Well, I guess you have first secured your own network. Ask yourself this:

1. How did I secure my network?
2. Why did I secure it with <whatever>? (or: what did I secure it against?)

The result follows.  (as so many textbooks annoyingly put it).

Cheers,
Anders :)

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027