Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: account trapping

From: "Jason M. Leonard" <fuzz () ldc upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:07:06 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Jack Solomon wrote:

I want to leave a monitoring station logged in all day so that I can see the
status of the servers.  Our monitoring application has to run as Admin to
query the server registrys.  I want to prevent it doing anything else but I
don't want to have to lock the screen out because its real convenient to see
it going crazy from the other side of the room.

I can't make it email/page me because its homegrown and doesnt have this
functionality yet.  Is there an easy way to setup an account with Admin
rights but to stop it running any other programs?

Jack,

Rather than trying to create a "restricted Admin" account, which even if
possible is a security incident waiting to happen, just log into the
monitoring machine with a regular account (a restricted one would be
even better) and use "runas" to run the monitoring application as
Administrator.

:Fuzz

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027