Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Digital signature Question

From: Hollis Johnson <hollis () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:06:44 -0800

Roger, I'm pretty new in the Crypto field, but I'll try -- and see if I know what I'm talking about.

The hash or "message digest", to use what seems to be the term used in the books, uses a symmetric or "shared" key. This is used to verify the contents of the message.

Then apply your private key, which is used to verify the message is actually from you, or non-repudiation.

The two separate issues are:

- the message I see is what you sent
- the message I see is from you

Does that make sense??

And we'll see if I'm correct or correct-ed :-)