Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Scan Output - PIX firewall shows ports open even when disabled?

From: "Dan Duplito" <danduplito () techie com>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 00:30:18 +0800

Yes there is a cisco border router (12.x) in front of it PIX is a 6.2(x)
version.

we weren't able to play with the router because the carrier ISP owned it, not our client. we sent a note to the ISP
but, as usual, they ignored it. perhaps the cisco experts (not me) in this list may be able to shed some light.

in any case, we weren't _too_ concerned by the router setup since it didn't really expose anything useful to outsiders
(as far as we know) except the necessary open ports of the servers behind the PIX. but just the same, it would be nice
to know how and why the router affected the scan.

Thoughts? Although the nmap version wont fix anything or change the results
becasue you can still make a manul connection.

i know :) i just mentioned it FYI (for-your-information).

cheers,
dan

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027