Security Basics mailing list archives

Email Monitoring

From: <jimmy2600 () hushmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 01:34:08 -0700

Good Afternoon list,

I've searched Google and the Security focus archives for most of the
day looking for a pointer in the right direction for this one. Its been
discussed but I have not com across a solution.

Now I'm not looking to start a debate on the legal, moral or ethical
implications but just the technical implementations.

I've been asked by a company to set up some kind of email monitoring
software, what they want is to record (save the full email and any attachments)
mail which is sent to certain domains i.e. competitors, some kind of
alert after such a event should also be sent to a number of senior executives
in the co.

The mail server is Exchange and they do not want to spend money on software.
At present all inbound mail is scanned by a SMTP proxy that carries out
content and spam checking. It’s a beefy Redhat8.0 box using Spamassasin
and Mimedefang.

What I aim to do is deliver all out bound mail through the proxy and
:

1. Hopefully find some kind of open source implementation that can do
what I want.

2. Hack some kind of filter with Perl.

The second option really isn’t a good one as my programming skills lead
a lot to be desired.

Has anyone got any input on this, am I going down the wrong path or maybe
someone has implemented something similiar?

Any input (apart from big brother type arguments would be greatly appreciated)

Jim

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program:

FastTrain has your solution for a great CISSP Boot Camp. The industry's most
recognized corporate security certification track, provides a comprehensive
prospectus based upon the core principle concepts of security. This ALL INCLUSIVE curriculum utilizes lectures, case
studies and true hands-on utilization
of pertinent security tools. For a limited time you can enter for a chance
to win one of the latest technological innovations, the SEGWAY HT.
Log onto http://www.securityfocus.com/FastTrain-security-basics