Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: jrd () gerdesas com
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:50:17 -0500 (CDT)

In previous mail, khayes () eastbay com spouted...

Unfortunately there isn't a clear way to do this since Yahoo is the middle
guy and the mail headers were generated there.  We recently had a similar
e-mail come in and we spoke to Yahoo directly.  While they were sympathetic
to the situation, they stated some sort of Court Order or Law Enforcement
involvment would be required for them to give out information.

        I just did a quick test from a throw-away Yahoo account.  Mail was
        sent from Yahoo using their web interface to my home network.  In
        the mail received there is a header similar to:

        Can't this be used as the first step in tracing down, at least, where
        it originated?

        While Yahoo themselves may not release information without a court
        order, perhaps the folks at the originating point would be more
        helpful?

                                                        John