Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ports 1985 and 1986

From: Joerg Over <over () dexia de>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:39:14 +0200

Am 17:54 20.05.2003 -0400 teilte Jeff Lane mir folgendes mit:
->This afternoon I noticed a couple connections on a new server
on ports
->1985 and 1986.  Anyone know what these ports are?

Not by heart, no. And even if I did you should check anyway :)

->sure yet how to track down things like rogue processes, and
which user
->is doing which, and what is bound to what port on a windows
machine.

You might try sth like a decent personal firewall to check out
and control:
http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html

The other and faster option would be fport by foundstone.
http://www.foundstone.com/resources/intrusion_detection.htm
This is comparable to netstat/fuser/sockstat stuff.
There's other fine stuff at foundstone's, so browse.
www.sysinternals.com also has nice tools for that feat.

Everything mentioned here is at least free for personal use.

hth, jo

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics