Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Remote windows "finger"

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 20 May 2003 10:35:22 -0000

Troy,

Is there any way to determine who is logged into a
win9x box (Win98, 2000,
XP) from a remote system preferably Linux.

2K and XP are built on NT, not Win9x.

I have a list of IP addresses and I need to, if
possible, find out who is
logged into those systems so I can send them email
from a redhat system.
This is all behind the corporate firewall

One way to do this is using an nbtstat-like utility
from Linux...there's one here:
http://razor.bindview.com/tools/index.shtml

Look for nbtstat in the left-hand column.

How firm is the requirement to do this from Linux?  If
it's set in stone, I'd suggest getting VMWare, and
installing XP.  That way you'd have access to the API,
and be able to get the info you want w/ simple Perl
scripts.

HTH,

Harlan

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics