Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [Security Basics] Portsentry and Snort

From: Dan DeVoe <ddevoe () zeus netset com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:39:42 -0400 (EDT)

Snort and PortSentry serve two entirely different functions. The former is
a Network Intrusion Detection System, the latter is a port scan
detector/responder.

Snort, in my opinion, is primarily useful for sticking on a bridge in
front of the machines you're protecting. Custom patterns combined with
acidlab really does let one sleep better at night. The reason that I
prefer to use snort in a standalone configuration is mainly the curve
between CPU usage and network traffic. YMMV. Snort, though, is definitely
a useful tool.

PortSentry, in addition to apparently not being a supported, developed
product anymore, is of questionable value anyway. A decently strict,
logging iptables setup plus fwlogwatch[0] provides more functionality
(user-configurable response rather than simply throwing up a drop rule).
In addition, fwlogwatch can send out nightly (or another interval)
summary e-mails of logged packets, and generate HTML formatted pages of
the same data.

Should you decide to go with a logging firewall and fwlogwatch, I suggest
you look into ulogd[1] so that you don't clutter your /var/log/messages.

[0]: http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/projects/fwlogwatch/
[1]: http://gnumonks.org/projects/ulogd

--
 Dan DeVoe, System Administrator        | http://www.netset.com
 Ohio NetSet Enterprises, Inc.          | (614) 527-9111