Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Xupiter

From: JEFF YEARWOOD <jsymsy1 () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 14:34:18 -0400

I have heard that when you uninstall the xupiter program that if you do
not go into the system and physically delete the files from the system
it will generate pop-ups one right after another. I have also heard
that if you do not remove the registry keys it will also try to access
the page as a keyword search engine even after it is uninstalled. I had
gotten it on my system and when I removed it I would type in my address
bar an address like this "msn.com" and try to access the page it would
not let me access it and would put "////%20" in front of the address
and would not open the page.

There is a registry key (I think) that will let you specify a search
engine in IE that if you type a keyword in the address bar it will
default to that engine to find the content you are looking for. I only
found it after I was attacked by xupiter.