Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: Firewall recommendations?

From: "Thorsten Dampf -- 7stein.net" <thorsten.dampf () 7stein net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:47:39 +0100

Take a look at the watchguard products. www.watchguard.com

Regards, Thorsten

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: rdusek () myway com [mailto:rdusek () myway com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 6. März 2003 21:05
An: security-basics () securityfocus com
Betreff: Firewall recommendations?

I am in charge of researching a firewall to replace what we currently

have.  At my previous job I had used Microsoft ISA in a low-security

environment, and was happy with its features, and its
integration with

the Windows environment there.  However, at my current job,
security is a

much greater concern, and I have to admit, I am somewhat
uneasy running a

Microsoft firewall product on top of a Microsoft OS. We also had

investigated Checkpoint as well as Cisco Pix, and found that for our

needs, the Pix at least seemed to need _many_ separate
components for the

same functionality. My question is what are your experiences
with using

ISA from a security standpoint? Usability issues? From the
Mac end? Or

would we be better off pursuing the Checkpoint or the Pix
solution? We

also plan on implementing VPN over whatever we choose, so if you

recommend something other than these, it should support at
least PPTP and

perhaps eventually IPSec/L2TP.  We have also considered placing ISA

behind a Linux (or BSD) IP Chains firewall and our perimeter
network to

block some of the traffic from getting to ISA. Any comments
here? Thanks

to everybody in advance!