Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Vendor wants remote control of our Servers and Workstations

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:20:59 -0600

With a VPN you don't have to worry about the traffic on the public network -
that will be encrypted.  And you can insist upon strong authentication for
the tunnel itself.

What you do have to worry about is what they can do once they're inside.
Unless you erect an internal firewall around the PC Anywhere machines and
the production servers, what else can they see/do?

With PC Anywhere, it's essentially as if they're sitting on a PC inside the
network with full access to everything on that PC.  Obviously and
necessarily that gives then access to the production servers that they need.

And you assume (or verify) that there's language in the contract about what
they do with that access...

But stop and thing what they COULD do, if they were sitting on a PC on your
network with unfettered access.  All of your nightmare scenarios about what
a disgruntled employee could do, have now been extended to this 3rd party.
And all of their disgruntled employees...  They could install a network
sniffer, one that operates INSIDE the firewall.  They could map the network.
Etc.

-----Burton