Security Basics mailing list archives

Secure WAN Setup (Possibly off topic?)

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:30:42 -0800

Our company is considering splitting off one of the divisions into a seperate entity at another location. My boss has asked that I provide him with a WAN proposal with recommendations, costs, etc. I know the theory, but I haven't implemented anything like that before. I'd like to solicit comments on how to set this up in a secure, effective manner. Does anyone have any advice, warnings, comments, thoughts, etc.?

To help define the scope of this question here are a few facts:

The main company will be about 40-45 employees at one location, this is where most of the hardware will reside. The secondary company will be between 15-30 min away and employ about five people. The secondary company will have a much more strict security setup than the main organization due to the nature of their work. The budget for this setup is probably less than $5000 though thats still a grey area. I need to decide if both organizations should continue sharing a main database, or if the second organization should purchase their own. I also need to decide if I should stay working for the main company and have them hire me out to the subordinate organization, or recommend that I become a contractor who works for both.
Leased line or Internet VPN?

My initial plan is to set up a server on site at the 2nd location, and use that for necessary servcies like dhcp, logon, etc. Then create a vpn tunnel through their T1 line to the main location where the file servers, email, database, etc. will reside. The solution will probably involve a mix of Linux and win2k.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Linux and I have a love/hate relationship. I hate its complexity until I figure out how something works, then I love its power."