Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Home users with VPN connections

From: Kevin Saenz <ksaenz () spinaweb com au>
Date: 26 Mar 2003 10:07:34 +1100

If it is the users personal computer I think there are a lot of issues
here that have not been addressed. i.e: ownership of software.
the case if the employee is no longer an employee. If employees are
required to work from home then that is what a laptop or a loan machine
is for. The hypothetical can go on forever here. My preference is
to leave their personal computers well a lone. For the simple reason
if they install other software or for some stupid reason some piece of
spyware is installed on the machine. We as tech support can not tell
users what they can an can not install on their personal machines.

Is the enduser going to bring their workstation in so you can build
the software config?  You need to install whatever OS you have with
the appropriate hardware.  Are you going to be responsible for
maintaining drivers for 300 different PCs for 300 different users?
This is a scenario not out of the realm of possibility for a large
company.

If there's 300 users, then what's wrong with hiring the three tech's
you'll need to support this kind of setup?

Mike

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfsbl1