Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Physical Security & Protecting Information

From: Todd <tod () megachump com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:42:06 -0500

I would make sure that HR and Legal have armed themself with a signed confidentiality agreement from all employees,
vendors, and contractors(include something about intellectual property rights). Ensure they make it part of the new
employee orientation process and a reminder upon the termination/exit of an employee.

Also, confirm existence of copyright notices in source code, clear audit trails and custodial efforts for any media in
hardcopy of paper or disc are a standard policy and part of regular auditing. Try to get this in your security policy
and endorsed by upper management to keep line managers as sole heirs of responsibility in this task.

Finally, keep a good awareness program.  Remind end-users that security is best served through their diligence and
reporting of suspicious activities.  Also, try to remind upper management by sending them occassional articles on same.

Hope that gives you somewhere to start.

--
Todd Plesco