Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ip id numbers

From: "crawford charles" <biv0uac17 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:49:35 +0000

As regards how this might be leveraged as an exploit:
tricky, but you might be able to use it to inject data or hijack a session, but more inefficiently than using the TCP SEQ/ACK-exploits.

Predict the next IP-ID to be sent, send a packet with that ID, (and spoofed source) TCP/UDP headers, etc., but set the fragment bit. The receiving IP-stack should try to re-assemble the fragmented packet using the crafted packet as the first fragment, followed by the "real" packet from the client/server. Or indeed, send the crafted opening/closing fragments "around" the "real" packet. With any luck, the "real packet" will get dropped, and your crafted data will be accepted in its stead.

But it is clumsy, target-stack-dependent, and VERY timing-dependent.

C.