Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Single Sign On

From: "Walter Williams" <wbjw () mindspring com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:10:51 -0500

If your unix is solaris, it can use LDAPS for an authentication protocol,
allowing you to leverage AD as a single account store.  Unfortunately,
unless you rewrite the GINA, NT/w2k can't leverage a third party directory
service.  This would allow for not for single signon, which implies that you
authenticate once for all trusted systems, but for a reduction in redundant
account stores.  Single Signon is removing a layer of security as it implies
trusts between environmnets.  Reducing the number of account stores saves
money, reduces complexity, makes it easier on the user as they now only have
one password to remember if you require passwords.

Under the model I suggest, passwords become optional, as you can use the
win2k CA and rainbow tech or other smart cards to provide strong
authentication.  This smart card can also store the keys for ssh, if you are
using ssh to connect to unix from your win2k systems.  Smartcard support is
in solaris 9, so I imagine it's out there for other unixes.  Now you don't
have passwords and their insecurities to worry about.  Smartcards are a
managed solution, and not a panacea.  If they get lost, the users is locked
out until a new card is issued.

I've done this in a lab, and we are looking into doing it in our production
systems.

Kerberos has the problem of MS's implementation being a deviation from the
standard.

Walt