Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall on server itself

From: "Firegoblin Postmaster" <postmaster () firegoblin com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:08:49 +0100

"I don't think that would make sense. If an intruder could exploit the
web server to gain root privileges, why would he stop from changing the
iptables rules?"

I would disagree. If any other device on the network (or DMZ, were you to
create one) were compromised, they could be used to attack the web server
without the 'hostile' traffic traversing the firewall.

Assuming the performance hit is acceptable I would see no reason not to
employ a basic IPTables ruleset on the webserver.

Rgds

---