Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Oh Dear, Where to start?!

From: "Mitchell Rowton" <mitchell () attackprevention com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:05:22 -0600

Most organizations have many security policies (User ID and Password,
Extranet, Firewall) But there should be one high level policy that
basically states that information security is important to the company
and assigns responsibility of security to certain group(s).  This high
level policy may mention basic ideas like "Principle of Least Access"
or "Separation of Roles and Responsibilities" but nothing more
particular than those types of ideas.  This policy may even assign
responsibility to a group for developing more detailed security
policies.

While I agree that a risk assessment is always the first step in
securing anything you should also beginning this high level policy
discussion as early as possible with management.  It’s easier to do a
risk assessment (and hopefully suggest mitigation) if you have policy
to back you up that says you are responsible for doing this.  You could
then take the information from the risk assessment and use it as a
roadmap for developing more detailed policy in addition to mitigating
the risk.

For example you may find in this assessment that having now patching
documentation or commitment is the largest risk.  so you your first
detailed policy may cover "who is responsible for applying
patches" "how often they be applied" and most importantly "what happens
if they don’t do it"

You could go down the different risks and associate each one with a
policy as you address the issues.

Mitchell

Why not start with a risk analysis and find out what are business
critical
devices, applications and servers. Assign each identified device a
priority
number. This should become your roadmap. This is obviously a very
high level
approach. But it's a start in the right direction.

-Sanjay