Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Oh Dear, Where to start?!

From: Patrick Boucher <pboucher () gardienvirtuel com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:44:07 -0400

Greetings,

Well, I've been in your situation. And it should not be a very difficult task. First of all you want to know what kind of level of Security your Org need.

First i'll check the Ciritical applications..
- Are they in a DMZ
- Are they securely configured and installed.
- Do a Backup in case something goes wrong while you work on it.

Then i would check the firewall Config. On the Nat they may be ipchains or iptables config.. (If it's a linux)
After, make sure everybody have an Anti-Virus installed on their computer

After that I would start writing a Security policies.. and teach theses policities to the End User (make sure Upper management support you for that, If they don't approve or even follow your guide line nobody will)

But the very first step is, do you have anything critical ? (If the compagnie is a 5 persons with a Dlink Di-704 and ADSL) With no Server, 1 printer.. then All you need is a Anti-virus.

Patrick

Steve Frank wrote:

Hey everyone,

Ok... I am in a bit of a jam here and I was hoping to
get some feedback from some of you with appropriate
experience in the field of network security and policy
development.

I am an senior at RIT studying (essentially) systems
administration. My main focus and priority has been
computer security and policy development. I recently
took a internship with a small government office
helping out with computer administration tasks. Upon
arrival, I decided it would be fun to do a windows
update to see what sort of things would come up for my
PC. Low and behold, there were over 40 critical
updates, driver updates, and recommended updates.
Right off the bat this triggered the feeling that
there was absolutely no security or update plans in
place at this particular organization. I quickly
addressed the issue, and have been working to draft a
comprehensive security policy and implement technical
controls.

What I need advice on is the following: If you were
introduced to a mixed network (literally all versions
of windows since 3.1 and mac systems) that have no
updates, backups, or patches installed... connected to
a network with only a basic NAT table and no other
security... with not even anti-virus software
enabled... with no user policies or disaster plans in
place... with unprotected netbios shares everywhere...
where would you start the process of building some
sort of security solution?

I mean, I've seen passwords on monitors, shared
accounts, open public ports (even the wiring cabinet
was unlocked in plain view of passbys to the
building). I've been tasked with creating the security
policies relating to internet use, network and phone
use, passwords, physical security, backup/disaster
plans, antivirus, incident response, email
use/protection, and whatever else needs done. This
wouldnt be so bad normally I guess, but there is
virtually no budget allocated to help for this project
and I have approximately 3 months to do it. To make
matters worse, I am also responsible for systems
admin, network admin, tech support, programming, and
whatever other tasks may need to be done in the
meantime.

So basically, if you had to start from nothing, where
would you start first? What would you consider to be
the most important things to be implemented? I am
literally working from ground zero here... heh!

Thank so much in advance ;-)

Steve Frank

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.
Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.
Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm

--
Patrick Boucher
Tél.: (450) 967-1617