Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall configuration statistics

From: ATD <simon () snosoft com>
Date: 24 Jun 2003 18:17:59 -0400

SKP,
        I don't think that you are wrong or an idiot for wanting to understand
stat information.  Hell, we all have marketing teams (well us that work
for infosec companies do). My point to you, when I wrote to you was that
your subject of interest isn't something that you can get numbers on and
have them be accurate.  Here are the reasons:

1-) Firewall configurations changed often.
2-) You can't possibly (nore can anyone) probe enough firewalls to get
real stats

So, in closing, the information you are trying to collect is just not
something that I think anyone can collect in any real way. =]