Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Digital Evidence Question - What is an effective Windows hard -disk search tool?

From: "dave klimen" <dave () netmedic net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:03:34 -0400

First of all I never said EnCase could recover lost clusters that had been
overwritten. That is just one of many forensic tools I utilize I did not
suggest that should be used in this case. I suggested R-Studio.

Secondly, like I said download the trial version and try it, do not take my
opinion.

Links are at the end but please read this.

R-Studio recovers files:
 . That have been removed without Recycle Bin, or when Recycle Bin has been
emptied;

 . Removed by virus attack or power failure;

 . After the partition with the files was reformatted, even for different
file system;

 . When the partition structure on a hard drive was changed or damaged. In
this case, R-Studio can scan the drive trying to find previously existed
partitions and recover files from found partitions.

 . From disks with bad sectors. In this case, R-Studio can first copy the
entire disk or its part into an image file and then process such image file.

R-Studio can create image files for an entire hard drive, logical disk, or
its part. Such image files can be processed like regular disks. Images are
very useful if there is a risk of total data loss due to hardware
malfunction. If bad blocks are constantly appearing on a hard drive, the
only way to save the data is to immediately create an image of that drive.
All data search, scan and recovery can be done from this image.

How it works

Each R-Studio product has two operation modes:

File search on a partition (including recently found):
R-Studio analyzes MFT (Master File Table) on NTFS partitions and FAT (File
Allocation Table) on FAT partitions. Then it will display all files whose
records have been found in the analyzed tables. Recently deleted files,
whose records still remain, can be restored. If files have not been found,
that means that their records have been deleted. In this case, the disk must
be scanned.

Disk scan - searching for partitions:
R-Studio scans the entire disk or its part. Using a number of statistic and
deterministic criteria, known as the IntelligentScan technology, it
determines existing or previously existing partitions on the disk and their
file systems. For example, if there was NTFS partition, which later was
reformatted as FAT partition, R-Studio will show two partitions on the same
place of the disk: FAT and NTFS. After scanning the entire disk or its part,
R-Studio will show all found partitions. The parameters of the found
partitions may be corrected, if additional information on them is available.
It's possible to add new partitions by manually setting all required
parameters.

http://www.r-tt.com/htmlhelp/

And the FAQ's have a lot of info:

http://www.r-tt.com/FAQ.shtml#

Your best bet would be to read the users manual:

http://www.r-tt.com/downloads/rstudio.pdf

http://www.r-tt.com/downloads/rundelete.pdf

Dave Kleiman
dave () netmedic net
www.netmedic.net

"High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation."
Jack Kinder