Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hard Drive Encrypting

From: Daniel <hazzard2000us () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:50:15 -0700 (PDT)

I believe that if the hard drive crashes then it would
be a real problem recovering the files. However if you
would make a backup of the keys onto a floppy or
another computer you could always use those. Yes if
you transfer the Encrypted files to another disk with
a different file system then the original NTFS file
system would unencrypt them first. Also if you email
them they will be unencrypted. You can however move
them to another NTFS file system and keep the
encryption that is if you can recover the files in the
first place. Dealing with the ownership problem that
was presented I believe that the Administrator can
take ownership of any file on the system encrypted or
not. The administrator also holds the trump card by
being able to over ride the person making the file
encrypted by the administrator also being the recovery
agent for EFS. I hope this helps.