Security Basics mailing list archives

Re:.Setting UP Microsoft OWA

From: "Gwydion Mine" <Gwydion () myrealbox com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:52:03 +0100

Hi,

I do not have a direct answer to your question BUT:

We decided to put a reverse proxy (M$ ISA of all things) in front of our second tier exchange node (OWA) for external
users. RSA SecureID ties in quite nicely with ISA FP1. We use the web publishing rule to forward connections on to the
OWA from the ISA.

This does mean they authenticate twice, once to the ISA via RSA and then again to get into their mailbox. Our users are
fine with this.

Meanwhile, internal users just pick up their email normally through their email client (outlook in most
cases)...erm...but for those strange folks that just have a passion for using their browser to collect email
internally, they can use the real address of the OWA node.

Not what you were after but it does work - just tried it! Also more secure for external users...

I supxpose mxy question to you would be: whyx have xinternal users using their browser and not connect using outlook?
If you are on a linux network, there are FREE ways of picking up email from exchange (i.e. one does not HAVE to use
that Ximian Evolution or trademail).

Gwyd

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm