Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cisco Pix UDP Built

From: James Fields <jvfields () tds net>
Date: 18 Jun 2003 19:24:44 -0400

faddr is a "foreign address" or "outside" machine.  gaddr is a "global
address" which is basically a NAT address.  laddr is a "local address"
which is being protected behind the global/NAT address.  The message
format generally puts the source first, then the destination.  Cisco's
web site has PDF documents listing every Pix syslog message with format
and explanations;  however Cisco changes the format and sometimes the
syslog numbering for various messages.  For example, the standard
"built/teardown a TCP/UDP" connection messages actually changes numbers
between PIX code 6.1 and 6.2,  which is annoying for people who use
products such as the one you're trying to create.