Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encryption Level of web site

From: "Michaels, Tod" <Tod.Michaels () constellation com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:56:27 -0400

I believe what you are looking for may be found in the Windows registry, as
outlined in MS article Q241447, "How to Restrict the Use of Certain Ciphers
in Internet Information Services 5.0".  These registry keys indicate which
SSL and TSL encryption ciphers are enabled on your server.

Per the article:
=============================
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/SecurityProviders/SCHANN
EL/Ciphers

Under this key, all the ciphers currently used by Schannel for secure
communications are listed. Select the one you want to disable and expand the
key.

You should see a DWORD value under the key called "Enabled." Depending on
the cipher you have selected, this value will either be set to "ffffffff" or
"000000f0" ("ffffffff" means enabled, "000000f0" means disabled).

Tod Michaels