Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VLAN security

From: Darren Carter <darren.carter () mci com>
Date: 3 Jun 2003 22:44:34 -0000

I looked into vlan security a little while back and found few problems
with respect to security.  Note the following discussion relates to Cisco
kit.

Cisco have some good documentation on CCO, but you'll likely need a
support contract/login to get there.  A quick search for "vlan security"
turned up some useful stuff including this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_whit
e_paper09186a008013159f.shtml

I also recall reading a paper by @Stake who were contracted by Cisco to
investigate VLAN security.  The investigation found only one concern and
that was where user traffic was allowed in VLAN 1 (the default management
VLAN).  The management VLAN is used by switches for VTP, and it was found
that crafted frames could hop from the management VLAN to another VLAN,
but this ONLY occurred when a host/station sat on the management VLAN.

This concern was eliminated by ensuring that all switch ports used for
connecting hosts were placed in a VLAN other than the management VLAN.
The paper above also suggests "pruning" the management VLAN from ports
that don’t need it, but I assume they mean that in the manual switch
configuration sense rather than relying on VTP pruning.

By the way, note that the discussion revolves around frames and not
packets.  You need to be L2 adjacent to the switch to effect VLAN hopping.

Cheers
Darren