Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: About default sharing folders in Windows

From: "dschaible" <dschaible () cssiinc com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:42:29 -0400

There is a way to kill Administrative Shares, use at your own risk.  I do
this all the time with no ill effects to date.  Of course, I wont guarantee
your useage ;)  I found this tip quite a while ago at:

http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm

This is tip #0096

It works for me on Win2K and WinXP.

Removing Administrative shares.

By default, if you delete the C$, D$, etc.. Administrative shares, they will
be recreated when you reboot. To disable this feature, edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Double click on AutoShareServer and set it to 0 to disable it for a server.
Double click on AutoShareWks and set it to 0 to disable it for a
workstation.
If the entries are not present, Add Value of type REG_DWORD. The Range is 0
(disable) or 1 (enable - the default).

HTH
Derek