Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Locking down workstation

From: "Dana Epp" <dana () vulscan com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:10:55 -0700

Here is a good start for you on some resources to assist you in hardening
your workstation(s).

The NSA released some unclassified documents on ways to reduce the attack
surface of you Microsoft based operating systems. I found the Windows XP and
2000 guides a good starting point if you are wanting to "button down the
hatches" for those platforms. The documents are clear and concise and step
through a lot of different aspects.

You can find the index at: http://www.nsa.gov/snac/, or go directly to the
Windows XP Guide at: http://www.nsa.gov/snac/winxp/download.htm

If you are using Linux or Mac OSX, consider taking a look at something like
Bastille. They have scripts that can harden your distribution in just a few
steps. You can get more information at: http://www.bastille-linux.org/

Short of that, consider using least privilege, and consider what you MUST
have running. If you are not sure, turn it off. You will find out quick
enough if it's something that should be turned on. *lol*

Good luck. Happy hardening.

---
Regards,
Dana M. Epp