Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: A new concept for security management?

From: "Keenan Smith" <kc_smith () clark net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 02:09:26 -0400

Thanks for that answer and all the other good information from everyone.

I'm coming to the conclusion that one of the following 3 things is true:

1.  I wasn't clear about what my client wants
2.  What he wants doesn't exist
3.  What he wants doesn't exist because it can't or if it did, it would be
too hard/expensive to manage

I don't believe that 3 is true, so that leaves either 1 or 2.

My client doesn't want to invest in the cost of securing his network (where
have I heard THAT before?!?!) or the cost/effort of maintaining that
security.  Yes, just as most clients, he wants everything without having to
pay for any of it.  That aside, what my client wants, as best as I
understand it, is VPN access to an existing, secure network.  All access to
the outside world would be via that network.  This means that the only thing
that has to run on the client machines is the VPN client, everything else
would be handled by the network.  That way, all the standard security stuff
would be available, without the pain or cost of handling it himself.

Obviously, a typical network in a typical company would not allow an unknown
user to connect to their backend network, but I thought that there might be
a service of some sort that supplies that type of function.  Based on what
I've taken from this list and other research that I've done, something like
I describe doesn't exist, at least as a service that could be purchased.

I suppose the question is now, why not?  It seemed like a good idea when my
client asked me about it.  Am I missing something or did I just drink too
much last night?

Thanks all.
KC Smith