Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Looking for inputs about readnotify

From: Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka <mfrd () attitudex com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

Basically, by using various methods, they generate a web request on their server in the HTML embedded (could also use
applets etc) email, which they send to the recipient.

Through which they can track, as to which I.P address checked the email (or requested the applet / HTML)
And then you can be "notified" that your email has been "read", that's what they are "readnotify".

I think, it is sort an invasion of privacy, since it completely depends on the recipient whether or not he/she wishes
to confirm to the sender that email has been received.

Regards
--------
Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka

--- "philip97s" <philip97s () hotmail com> wrote:
Hi,
I have a couple of questions regarding their technology:
- The service sounds great, but it also sounds like I paid someone to hack
my friends?
- Do they leave any trojan in my friends' machines or my machine?  How do
they do it?
- And last questions, is this legal?

Thanks

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm

[ATTITUDEX.COM]
http://www.attitudex.com/

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you () yourchoice com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more!
http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag