Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Securing a Win2k DNS server outside firewall...

From: "Pascal Rossillon" <pascal () rossillon com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:29:44 +0200

Hi Mike,

You can lock down a Windows 2000 server without stopping any services and making important changes in its configuration.

You have to use the local security policy administrative tool : in IP security policy for local computer, right-click
Secure Server and attribute it. Like this, you will stop any traffic from any source ( except the server himself ).
I think that, by default, in this configuration, the only traffic allowed is the ping. If you want to remove it too :
double-click "Secure Server" and select ICMP. Modify the properties and set "ask security" for filtering action for all
ICMP Traffic.

Like this, you will start with a full locked box like it should always be ( maybe Windows 2003 ;-).

Now, just open DNS traffic flow as you want. To allow external request to your DNS, right-click secure server and
select properties, add a new rule without tunneling for all network connections, using Kerberos, add a new filter
called "53 DNS IN" or whatever, add any source address and set destination address to your own for TCP any incoming
port to your 53 port. Go back to the security rule wizard, select your rule and authorize it.

Do the same for the other DNS and after that, set a rule on both of them to allow them to communicate together freely,
using the tunneling parameter. Like this, they will replicate.

As far as I understand, your DNS servers are members of an active directory domain and not stand-alone servers. So they
should have to communicate to the internal network from the DMZ ( or maybe you have an active directory domain in your
DMZ ? ).

If they need to communicate with your internal network, you need to set rules on them for a lot of port and open this
ports in your firewall too.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179442

If they need to communicate in their own domain in the DMZ, just set tunneling with all Domain Controlers.

If they are stand-alone servers, the tunneling between Primary and Secondary DNS server is enough, and anyway, it's a
good idea to build them as "bastion" in case you need to operate them for a time without server security enforced.
http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/webhosting/security.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/tools/tools.asp

I hope this helps you and sorry for my little english and stories about click and double-click and right-click, but you
know the windows way of life ;-)

Pascal Rossillon.