Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: Shawn Duffy <pakkit () codepiranha org>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:52:48 -0400 (EDT)

I would be extremely surprised if any self-respecting ISP will tell you
who it is... and they shouldn't... they can't give out user info simply
because you provide them with headers.... privacy people!  If someone
sends you an email you don't like and the ISP gives you their info, what
is to stop you from visiting that person and beating them with a baseball
bat.. the originating ISP will not give you user info either.. or if they
do, they wont be around for long...

If it is a legitimate threat, ie, threatens bodily harm with the capacity
to carry it out, then you can get a subpoena for records... but even then,
you will most likely not get those records, the law enforcement agency
will...

Report it to Yahoo and the originating ISP then move on with your life...
if it keeps up or is threatening, as defined above, contact a law
enforcement agency, preferably where the sender is geographically...