Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: source LAN port 137 dest 169.x

From: "David Nichols" <dnichols () amci com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:05:06 -0400

Are you running DHCP and is the dest. address 169.254.xxx.xxx?  This is
Windows default addressing scheme if a computer can't contact a DHCP server.
Of course, that doesn't explain why 172.xxx.xxx.xxx is trying to talk to
169.xxx.xxx.xxx, but it would explain where the dest. IP address is coming
from.

David Nichols
Network Admin