Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security/Firewall question

From: "Michael Dunn" <MDunn () sscincorporated com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:55:25 -0400

Gregg,

If you're more comfortable with Win2K than BSD, then that's what I would recommend you stick with.  A properly hardened
NT box makes a decent bastion host.

I have had good success with Microsoft's ISA server.  There are a few books I recommend if you go that route:

Securing Windows NT/2000 Servers Stefan Norberg - 1-56592-768-0
Configuring ISA Server 2000 - Dr. Thomas Shinder - 1-928994-29-6
ISA Server and Beyond Dr. Thomas Shinder - 1-931836-66-3

The "beauty" of ISA server is that you only *need* one public IP address.  Your mail server can be on your LAN using a
private IP.  You publish your mail service on the ISA box. Of course, you may configure a DMZ and place your mail
server (with a public IP of its own) here.  This requires enough IP's to do ( I don't think 5 is enough), as you'll
need a 3rd NIC on the ISA box, plus burn 1 for the network id, etc.

I ran Win2k and ISA on a Celeron 333a with 128MB - it was very slow to use the console, but our T1 line at 1.5 Mbps
worked fine. It actually sped up some sites, as ISA can act as a cache as well.

Best of luck with your implementation, BSD or otherwise!

Regards,

-Mike