Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: 2 NIC's on same network, possible?

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:15:26 +0200

On 2003-07-27 Vineet Mehta wrote:
My collegue has a Linux machine which has 2 NIC's on it. What he did
was assign the IP's 192.168.0.6/24 and 192.168.0.7/24 to the NIC's.
And he was trying to ping the network but was getting errors (i dont
know the errors).

               -----------------
              | Switch          |
              |_________________|
                |             |
                |             |
                |             |
          -------------------------------
          |  NIC1            NIC2       |
          |192.168.0.6/24 192.168.0.7/24|
          |        Machine              |
          |-----------------------------|

I tried explaining him like this:->

Configuring the machine's network like this is not a big problem, coz
other machines on the network can still see these 2 IP's. But his
machine will not be able to reach other machines on the network coz 2
NIC's point to the same network so Linux kernel would be confused for
which NIC to use to send packets.

Correct. Your machine can't have two routes pointing towards the same
network.

If by any means we set the route to use ANY one NIC to reach the
network then there will be no errors.

Probably (not sure about that). But you will at least double the traffic
your machine causes (provided it works at all).

Am i right in this, or this is not possible AT ALL? I took my thought
from the concept of IP Aliasing.

Why would he want to connect two Interfaces to the same network? The
only reason I can think of is port-trunking, but in that case the
operating system would handle both interfaces as one (AFAIK).

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers