Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: encrypted files to ntfs

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:35:05 -0700

  THAT approach relies on the local administrator being the default
recovery agent for EFS.  When the OS has been reinstalled, the new
local administrator account is *not* the account that was recovery
agent for the files when they were encrypted.
  There IS a workaround, but I think it involves exporting a particular
certificate from the local administrator account BEFORE reinstalling
the OS....

  [My recommendation to people is that they ignore EFS unless they are
using domain accounts, which will survive a local OS reinstall.]

David Gillett