Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Microsot Liability for vulnerabilities

From: "James Lee Gromoll" <jgromoll () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:23:54 -0700

Kevin,

"a) create a new industry for lawyers
b) create a new industry for insurance companies (software malpractice
insurance)
c) motivate the software vendors to write better software
d) drive software prices way up to cover the extra costs of a, b, and c

I personally feel going to open source is a better way to go if you feel you
must make a statement, however that will not necessarily motivate the
commercial vendors to write higher quality software.  They may be just as
likely to think that they need to put in more bells and whistles."

Ditto. Excellent points. I also beleive that eventually this will be driven to open source. One thing to note in these cases it is not the "reasonable doubt" but the "preponderance of the evidence" principal that applies. In any case your points are well taken.

MODERATOR>>>>>>This might start another thread.

The open source movement and the entire GPL licensing principal is under attack from an old Micro$oft arm. Here's how it goes. I own rights to some source code. Let's say I see to it that the code is integrated into a GPL product, oh let's say the Linux kernal, but I didn't put it therel. Oh, gee my rights to my source have been violated. I want $$$$$. I'll sue who? The distributers of the code? Nope. The person who put the code into the open source community? (that's who I think these clowns should be going after since it probably was thierown selves.) Nope. The folks who are running my proprietary code? Hell yeah. Make 'em pay. Just it case you thought Micro$oft might try to make Linux its own, your worst fears are in route. Currently a Caldera company Santa Cruz Operations was (may still effectively be) Micro$oft and they have executed the exact ploy above. So they want to "own" Linux 2.4+ kernals and be paid for every installation. Really want to know more go to these links......

http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=12801004

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1141848

http://ir.sco.com/EdgarDetail.cfm?CompanyID=CALD&CIK=1102542&FID=1047469-03-23599&SID=03-00

just $.02 worth