Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Deploying Microsoft patches

From: Doug Massey <doug () masseytechnologies com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:37:21 -0400

SUS stands for System Update Services.  It doesn't apply
service packs, only hot patches.  I have it implemented and
it works quite well.  The latest version allows you to
suppress the reboot if a user is logged on.  If no one is
logged on, it installs and reboots.  Once implemented, I
have had zero problems wiht it.
I deployed configuration information for SUS with Group
Policy.
As a means of deploying service packs, try Group Policy if
you have AD.  That also works quite well in my experience.