Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: blocking IPs for FTP server

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:18:47 -0800

From: "Ng, Edward B" <edward.ng () eds com>
I was wondering is there an application out there which can do a
temporary block on the IP of someone who has tried to login to FTP too
many times and failed? I am currently running an iptables firewall,
but I do not want IPs to be permanently blocked, just say blocked for >24 hours and then allowed again.

Just write a script to add that address to a "temporarily blocked" file, add a rule to your firewall to block those addresses, and set up a cron job to delete entries older than 24 hours say once an hour or so.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." --Johnny Hart