Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Potetial Outpost Conflicts?

From: "GSimmonds" <gsimmonds () primus ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:59:42 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Rous" <crous () sympatico ca>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 9:23 AM
Subject: Potetial Outpost Conflicts?

So my question is: Has anyone experimented with running Outpost with
another firewall? If so, what was your experience? If not, can anyone
think
of anything to justify Agnitum's claims? Is this just a problem of
Outpost's? (No other firewall I know of issues such a warning.)  Or is
this
just a marketing claim to encourage usage of Outpost and only Outpost? (My
OS, BTW, is 98.)

Cheers,
Colin

I don't think it's a marketing claim, more of an honest heads up based on
experience. I've read usenet groups for years, this question seems to be
asked every other week. Followed by at least a dozen replies reporting
conflicts, resource issues, useless redundancy and a false sense of
security.

That seems to be the majority consenus, I'm sure there are exceptions as you
have found. I guess it depends on the user, hw, os and sw configuration.
Personally, I don't see the need for two fw apps. They're useful tools but
they have their limitations. I tried out a few(one at a time) and no longer
use any and I still pass all the scan tests.

I think you should go ahead and try it. You won't break anything, just make
sure you can roll back if theres problems. And if it works for you, great.

Regards

Gary