Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Internet Cafe

From: Matti Haack <m.haack () haack-it de>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:56:11 +0100

Anyways, anyone got any suggestions/comments on what I really have to
look out for? I'm thinking it should be reasonably secure, but in places
like this you always have the added risc of people wanting to damage the
OS/system or use it as a place from which to attack others.
Install a personal firewall. (www.kerio.com)

I suggest kerios Personal firewall for some reasons:
- You can create a policy file on one maschine and copy it to all the
others
- The Firewall administration can be looked down with a password
- It calculates MD5 Chekcsums for all used applications, so that you
can't rename a forbidden aplication to a allowed and pass the firewall
with this.
- It knows trusted adress groups, maybe to allow some more network Traffic
inside your cafe (for games etc.)

Allow only IE and whatever you like to allow for your customers.
Switch off learning mode, set a password. So noone can use newly
installed Internet Software like Kazaa or a massmailer.

with best regards
     Matti Haack

-
Matti Haack - Hit Haack IT Service Gmbh