Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Comparing Windows Bastions to Linux Bastions

From: Chris Travers <chris () travelamericas com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:59:06 -0800

Hi Gregory;

The O'Reilly book "Building Internet Firewalls" has a good section on Windows and *nix bastions. My own perspective is that Windows hosts tend to be more complicated from a security perspective because of hidden dependencies, etc (for example does your web app require COM+? How do you know?), and the secure administrative interfaces tend to be more complex as well. This is a problem for Windows. Also, remember that most Windows Updates require a reboot, while most updates on *nix systems require that a specific service is restarted.

However, a large percentage of security incidents are preventable by good administration practices. So, the admin is more important than the platform.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

BYRD,GREGORY (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:

Everyone,

I'm looking for information comparing Windows Bastions to Linux Bastions
(positives and negatives). I've looked through the list archive, as well as
plundered through Google (web and groups), but nothing worthwhile.
Hopefully someone on this list knows or has a document that can help.

Thanks in advance,
Greg