Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: "It's ok we're behind a firewall"

From: "David Vertie" <verticalrave () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:10:38 +0000

Its seems that the reason that so many people don't care is mostly because they don't know what has happened to so many other companies in the past.

Many people fall into a false sense of security when it comes to protecting themselves. They either believe that they will not be attacked, or that their current security measures are sufficient.

I have met more than my share of people who say that their firewall/people/resources is/are sufficient and that nobody would ever want to possibly attack/maliciously use their resources for any means whatsoever.

You can only guess what happened to those companies when the big worms struck, i.e. code red. I saw many a people complaining afterwards about the lack of security that they had.

People ironically learn from experience first as a highlight however.

As for techniques, I suggest a history lesson. People will get mad of course; mostly because they don't think they need a re-education I guess.

My two cents.