Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: wireless security question.

From: "Tim V - DZ " <iceburn () dangerzone com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:44:23 -0600

Totally agreed.  WEP is wired equivalency...it's just a deterrent, most
don't realize that.

1) lock down the AP as tight as you can then make the AP's IP
non-routable, on it's own network that can't make it past the firewall,
put it in a DMZ, pick-your-poison, etc.  Then use your authenticated VPN
to tunnel "through" the AP to a 'real' network.  DHCP and like have a
way with not working with this kind of setup

6) Rapid re-keying and the like are typically vendor implemented...ie
not standard and typically based on a per brand per hardware instance.
Look at PEAP for cisco and Rapid-Rekeying for Enterasys.  The later is
probably more what you're looking for.

-t